The 4th industrial revolution dictates how technology enhances farming. Advancements in what was once known as traditional farming methods are evolving. The agricultural sector provides a robust platform where traditional methods can be enhanced through the integration of Smart Technology. This is the time for farmers and agricultural markets to embrace the changing world.
Smart Technology in Agriculture is all about ensuring visibility to the farmer by giving him information at his fingertips, no matter where he is. The farmer will have seamless visibility to every action on his farm, such as, monitoring of water systems, temperature and humidity, soil health, animal health, surveillance, and logistics. THIS ENABLES THE FARMER TO IMPROVE FARMING EFFICIENCIES, BY MAKING INFORMED DECISIONS IN REAL TIME.
This system allows for real-time decision-making that will aid in risks being acted upon immediately at the source. It will also reduce the negative effects of the risks or mitigate the risk altogether. Smart Technology will save the farmer time and money.
Using Smart Technology developed by Macrocomm, farmers can communicate with their markets and service providers via one application. Macrocomm’s range of smart IoT devices and iGrow application (Smart Farming Platform) links the Farmer to all crucial elements:
- Improved Farming Efficiencies
- Access to Finance
- Commodity Health and Traceability, Sustainability
- Real-time Access to crop assessment by Markets
- Marketing and Receiving of orders via online systems
- Service Providers and Market updates
- Training and Development
Marketing and Distribution
This platform proves a full supply chain by connecting the farmer, market and end consumer. The iGrow platform allows the market to easily order or pre-order fresh produce directly from the farmer, and they are able to view products in real-time, this proves transparency and trust in quality product and customer service.
- Planting (Seed to market)
- Crop monitoring
- Harvest to Market
Learning and Mentorship
Macrocomm Smart Academy (training centre) has the ability to provide training to the Farmers and agroprocessing / logistics staff :
– Via accredited training modules,
– Onsite practical training via farming entities and businesses associated with Macrocomm.
– Use of mechanisation and maintenance thereof in all spheres of the value chain i.e. :
- Training of tractor drivers before they go into the field;
- Plant operators prior to entering the agro-processing plants;
- Field staff (horticultural training), on site practical planting and harvesting
- Staff training (administration and management training, together with Human
- relations and technical training);
- Drawing up of a mentoring/coaching program for staff;
- Waste management training (recycling, composting);
- Occupation Health and Safety Training (OHS) for all staff and operatives in the entire value chain via our accredited trainers;
- Use of IOT platforms for training purposes